The Cyprus Institute
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations and cross-disciplinary research and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The successful candidate, will participate in the research activities of Solar Energy and Desalination (SED) group of the EEWRC, and in particular will carry out activities related to the project which aims to reduce the Operation and Maintenance costs and water consumption while increasing the efficiency of a CSP solar collector field, by tuning the properties of self-cleaning surfaces, already developed by some of the project partners for other industrial applications, to the specifications of CSP applications. Within the project the main responsibilities of the Cyprus Institute team are related to the development of specifications, the evaluation of the soiling characteristics of the coatings developed within the project, including the water requirements for cleaning. The Research Assistant is expected to support the research activities of the project’s.
The appointment will be preferably on a full time basis, initially for a fixed term period of 17 months, with the potential of contract renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duties and Responsibilities: * Assist in the development of specifications for and anti-soiling coating characteristics
- Assist in the evaluation of mirror soiling and in the estimation of mean solar collector field reflectivities
- Assist in the modeling, analysis, design and optimization of overall energy system configurations
- Assist in publishing and communicating research findings, drafting of project deliverables.
- Participate and assist in general SED group activities
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard ( ) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest, and a list of 3 referees, including their contact information. All documentation should be in English and in PDF Format. For further information, please contact Prof Manuel J Blanco, ( ). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
- At least a Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as Mechanical Engineering, Energy Engineering, Engineering Physics or Thermal Sciences.
- Any research or Academic experience will be considered an advantage
- Any background on Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) systems will be considered an advantage
- Any time of experience in academia or industry carrying out activities that require some data analysis skills or mathematical modelling skills will be considered an advantage
- Statistical analysis capabilities
- High level of organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills and ability to adapt in a multicultural environment
- Excellent knowledge of the English languages both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent knowledge of MS office and internet IT tools
Preferred/Disirable Qualifications and Experience
- Modeling of mechanical systems and/or energy systems.
- Experimental and technical skills