University of Cyprus
The Molecular Medicine Research Center of the Center of Excellence at the University of Cyprus has one (1)
opening for a Special Scientist (Research Fellow) in Bioinformatics, for research and data analysis, funded by
the research program: Center of Excellence in Research and Innovation – Biobanking and the Cyprus Human
Genome Project (CY-Biobank)”, which is co-funded by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and
the University of Cyprus.
The candidate must:
1. Hold a master’s degree in Bioinformatics or a related subject (eg Computational Biology,
Mathematics, Biological Sciences, etc.). Doctoral degree (PhD) in these subjects will be considered as
an additional qualification.
2. Has at least 2 years of proven work / research experience in the field of analysis and management of
various types of clinical and biological data resulting from high throughput analyses and particular in
next generation sequencing data (NGS). Previous experience in NGS data analysis for genetic
diagnosis of diseases will be considered as an additional qualification.
3. Has knowledge in statistical analysis of clinical data, through the use of widely known tools such as,
RStudio, Galaxy, MATLAB etc., and good knowledge of Linux Operating System.
The candidate should be creative, enthusiastic and passionate about research. Candidates do not have to be
citizens of the Republic of Cyprus. A candidate with previous experience in a similar position, who also has
proven qualifications and ability to take increased initiatives under the supervision of the Program
Coordinator, will be preferred.
The candidate will work closely with other researchers regarding:
1. The process and management of various types of data by applying appropriate bioinformatics tools
2. The design of workflows for analysis and evaluation of (NGS) data and results that include Variant
Annotation and filtering by Ampliseq, WES, WGS, RNA-Seq and miRNA-Seq.
3. The investigation of biological questions that can be applied in the genetics of inherited diseases.
The following skills will be considered an asset:
- Structured or practical training in biological mammalian systems, preferably in humans.
- Familiarity with popular advanced bioinformatics tools, as well as for ontology and data mining
- Advanced (Bio-) statistics knowledge.
Successful candidates must be creative, enthusiastic, passionate about their work and have research as their
future professional goal.
Terms of employment
The position is filled with a two-year full-time contract with the possibility of renewal depending on funding.
The monthly gross earnings will range depending on qualifications from 1800-2800 euros. Employee
contributions will be deducted from this amount. The program does not provide for the payment of 13th
Submission of applications:
1. A letter expressing interest to the position with a brief description of qualifications (1 page)
2. A brief curriculum vitae with description of previous experience (3 pages)
3. Copies of diplomas
4. Contact details for at least two people qualified to provide recommendation for the candidate
At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by a 3-member
Candidates shall be informed of the result of their application by the relevant entity.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the
General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
The application material should be sent electronically as one single pdf file to:
at the latest until 30 April 2021.
For more information the candidates may contact the Coordinator of the project, Prof. C. Deltas,
Tel.: 22-892882 or Email: